Monday, January 18, 2010

FIRE DRILL

Tonight we received an Emergency handbook (I'm guessing from the emergency response coordinator in the area) so I started reading it and I am very excited about it. Usually when I hear about emergency prepardness there is so much information that I don't know where to start. But this packet has forms to fill out, checklists to follow, what to do and when to do it. I'm excited to get all of this put together and talk to the kids about all of this and to jump start it we decided to have a fire drill (We didn't think to check the weather outside first, but it was snowing. Or raining. I guess a fire wouldn't really care what the weather was.). I'm embarrassed to say that we have never really discussed this with the kids so I didn't quite know what they would do. We thought they were asleep so we thought it would be a good time to see if they woke up to the smoke alarms. Turns out the only one that was asleep was Lucas. Jackson heard the alarm so he came running up the stairs and I told him to get his shoes and coat on and he thought I was joking. I told him to get his brothers and get shoes and coats on. Then he got excited and took of to get Zack and Preston and they were up the stairs quicker than I have ever seen them go. Then I heard Rachel's door open. I don't know if she heard the alarm or if she just heard me tell the boys to get shoes and coats on. She came out and asked me where we were going. I told her it was a fire alarm and we had to run outside to the mail box fast. She actually got a little scared. Anyway, we all got outside safely. Dave even got Lucas out of bed which I wasn't planning on. So over the next couple of weeks and months and hopefully on a regular basis we can talk to the kids about emergency situations and get things put together and in order so we can be a little bit better prepared if anything should happen.

3 comments:

  1. Thats funny. I wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're on the ball. I should really do something like that, especially because my kids don't move as quick as your little ones. They need all the practice they can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conner's pre-school did a practice fire drill a few months ago and suggested we do it at home too. So we did and then conner asked LOTS of questions about it, because I'm pretty sure he was pretty scared!! anywho, I'd love a copy of that info. you go, because I'm so with you on the overwhelming and where to start with emergency preparedness stuff!! But I know that would probably take a lot of time to scan, etc. So no worries.....just a suggestion (that I'd love!!). =)

    ReplyDelete